"Ain't That A Kick In The Head" is the fourth episode of the fourteenth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 297th produced episode of the series. It is also the 408th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on October 12, 2017.
Amelia undergoes surgery to have her brain tumour removed but her path to recovery proves more complicated than she expected, challenging her loved ones and forcing the issues in Amelia and Owen's marriage to the surface. Meredith tries to distract herself by helping Nathan bring Megan's adoptive son to America. Meanwhile, Richard unexpectedly invites Maggie to a family dinner hosted by Catherine to mourn the loss of Jackson's grandfather, which soon turns awkward when she discloses life-altering news for her son while Richard and Bailey interview for the newest class of interns.
- "There are 100 billion neurons in the human brain, making and remaking connections. Helping us with math, remembering our keys, our dads voice - working hard all the time. So when the brain is faulty it's a big rewiring job and there's no room for error. When you're going into surgery you worry you don't wake up but with brain surgery you worry you will wake up but you won't be there when you do."
- "The trouble with crossed wires is you don't know they happened until it's too late so we have to be careful with our connections. They take time, care and attention. They take vigilance and single mindedness. We reconnect everything we can, as carefully as we can and then we just have to pray to God that we got it right."
- "Got The Feeling" - Juliet And The X's
- "Chevaliers de Sangreal" - Hanz Zimmer & Richard Harvey
- "Fun, Fun, Fun" - The Beach Boys
- "Leave The Lights On" - Overcoats
- "Silence" - Grace Carter
This episode's title originated from the song Ain't That A Kick In The Head, originally sung by Frank Sinatra.
- Amelia narrates the voiceover for this episode