"Goodbye" is the second episode of the sixth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 104th produced episode of the series. It is also the 135th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on September 24, 2009.
Everyone is struggling after losing one of their own and are turning to any distraction they can find. Meredith and Derek begin to enjoy the beginnings of their newly married life while Cristina and Owen are instructed to abstain from sex by Dr. Wyatt. Izzie continues to mourn her best friend and doesn't understand when starts Alex pulling away from her emotionally and Lexie considers the next step in her relationship with Mark. Meanwhile, Callie begins her new job as an attending at Mercy West.
- "The dictionary defines greif as "keen mental suffering or distress over affliction or loss". Sharp sorrow, painful regret. As surgeons, as scientists, we're taught to learn from, and rely on, books on defintions, on definitives. But in life strick defintions rarely apply. In life greif can look like a lot of things that bare little resemblence to sharp sorrow."
- "Greif may be a thing we all have in common but it looks different on everyone. It isn't just death we have to greive, it's life, it's loss, it's change. And when we wonder why it has to suck so much sometimes, has to hurt so bad, the thing we have to remember is it can turn on a dime. That's how you stay alive, when it hurts so much you can't breathe. That's how you survive. By remembering that one day somehow, impossibly, you won't feel this way; it won't hurt this much. Greif comes in it's own time for everyone, in it's own way. So the best we can do, the best anyone can do, is try for honesty. The really crappy thing, the worst part of greif, is that you can't control it. The best we can do is try to let ourselves feel it when it comes and let it go when we can. The very worst part is that the minute you think you're past it, it starts all over again. And always, everytime, it takes your breath away. There are five stages of greif. They look different on all of us but there are always five. Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance"
- "Ghosts" - Fanfarlo
- "Hologram" - Katie Herzig
- "Gravity" - Lucy Schwartz
- "Today Has Been Okay" - Emiliana Torrini
This episodes' title references the song Goodbye, originally sung by Kristinia DeBarge