"State Of Love And Trust" is the thirteenth episode of the sixth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 115th produced episode of the series. It is also the 158th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on February 4, 2010.
As Derek begins his role as interim chief, the hospital faces a crisis when Bailey and Meredith's patient awakens from anesthesia mid-surgery and Derek faces a potential lawsui while trying to regain the trust of his coworkers and attempting to help Richard get back on track. Meanwhile, Teddy refuses to place Cristina on her service bringing about problems in Cristina and Owen's relationship while Arizona tests Alex out in Pediatrics. Mark refuses to speak to a heartbroken Lexie.
- "We ask a lot of our patients. We put them to sleep, cut them open and poke around in their brains and guts with sharp instruments. We ask for their blind trust. The irony is trust is hard for surgeons because we're trained from day one that we can't trust anyone but ourselves. The only instincts you can count on are your own. The only skills you can count on are your own until, one day, you leave the classroom and step into the OR. You're surrounded by others, a team of others. A team that you have to rely on whether you trust them or not."
- "I am looking to the future, to all the promise this hospital has to offer. I plan to honor Richard Webber, and his legacy, not undo it which is why I am both humbled and honored to be your new Chief of Surgery"
- "Bang Bang" - Melanie Fiona
- "Do Do Do" - Nellie McKay
- "In Knowing" - Swimming In Speakers
- "I'm Sill Dancing" - Minuit
- "Wait Til You See Me Smile" - Alicia Keys
- "Yours" - Fay Wolf
This episodes' title references the song State Of Love And Trust, originally sung by Pearl Jam